Friday, April 8, 2016

Following Orders: Chapter Three

           Chapter Three


 I clung to the leather reigns resting between my fingers, trying not to let my nervousness show through. The horse beneath me was a dark brown, tense and strong. Its muscles rippled and its coat shone in the barely broken morning. The beast held its head high and appeared to almost be overseeing preparations.
            The first tangible rays of sun pushed over the castle wall, penetrating the cool air and being stopped from reaching the ground by my figure. It glinted in my eyes, determined to blind me. I tugged ever so gently on the horse’s reigns, turning to face the plain carriage by the gate.
            The simple vehicle was neither rich nor beautiful. It was a wooden frame with wooden walls on wooden wheels. There was a bench for the driver and open windows. Only heavy curtains shielded occupants from the view of the world.
            In stark contrast to the coach was the girl climbing into it. Her blonde hair had been carefully braided and twisted for the journey. She wore a simple traveling dress – by a royal’s standards that is. The brown garment was still decorated with embroidery and sequins, catching up bits of light and throwing them back out into the world. The toe of a brand new boot peeked out from beneath these sequined skirts, showing its sturdiness and shine.
            It was the work of a moment to climb into the carriage and when she had, the Princess Elaine seated herself and then leaned forward to peer out of the open door. Her grey eyes flitted about nervously underneath a creased brow. Red lips were pursed and fingers twitched in a lap of embroidery.
            Those lips parted and a musical voice descended upon all within earshot. “Why do I have to do this Papa? I want to stay here not go off to some other kingdom like cattle! It’s not fair!” Her brow furrowed and she looked at her father with irritation on her face.
            The king sighed. He stooped as if a great weight had fallen to rest upon his shoulders in the night, one that was not lifted by the morning. He took a step toward his daughter and took her hands in his. Arthur had to look upwards to speak to her, though she leaned toward him.
            “Because, my dear, it is the only way to save Camelot. Without your marriage, this country is doomed.”
            She pulled her hands away. “What about saving me from a life I don’t want? If you just want me to get married, I could marry someone here! I would even put up with that servant boy if I could stay!” She nodded toward me.
            “I know darling. I’m sorry. You must know that I would never send you away if it could be prevented, but, unfortunately, this is the only way. I love you beyond words pumpkin and I wish you could stay here forever.” He looked like a small child begging his mother to understand why he had to give the bread to a stray dog.
            “If I have to go, wouldn’t I at least have a more comfortable journey? This box is hardly fit for a slave and the journey is two weeks! I’ll never make it!”
            “There are a few pillows beneath the seats and blankets in your trunk. I’m sorry you cannot be more comfortable, but you must not be known to be traveling. If you were to be taken by men of Aronway, I could never live with myself!”
            “But Papa!” She whimpered.
            “I’m sorry Elaine. We will come to the official wedding when this war is quenched and there shall be many visits after that, I promise! You must leave now though, time is short. I love you, dearest! Farewell!”
            He closed the door gently and leaned up against it for a moment. Then he stepped away and the driver climbed up onto his bench. Sir Manchmal put a hand on his king’s shoulder. “I’ll take care of her sire. Don’t you worry about that.” Arthur nodded but that worry did not appear to leave his face.
            “I know you will.”
            My master climbed onto his mount which dwarfed my own and signaled the driver of the coach. The placid horses began walking forward gently, as if they knew they pulled precious cargo. Sir Manchmal’s horse fell into step on one side of the coach and I eased mine as gently as possible in behind him.
            The gates lay open before us and the few people populating the courtyard were silent as our procession traveled through them. As my mount stepped beyond the walls, I took one glance back. A weighed down king gazed lovingly after the coach. He was the last person I saw as we left that cool June morning.

            It was an hour in. The sun had pushed its way higher into the clear sky and was now raining down golden beams of light. They were intercepted by the layer of leaves and came out shadowy and green. All was quiet. Well, that’s not quite true – what I meant is that no one was talking.
            A myriad of bird calls spotted the forest on top of the chatter of squirrels and other small rodents. Wind blew through the trees, making the lighter branches sway in a hypnotic dance. The horses breathed heavily under their burdens and let their solid hooves beat down the dirt path with many thuds. The wooden wheels of the coach generally clattered and jangled. Sir Manchmal’s armor clinked as he rode.
            But besides all of those noises, all was quiet.
            It was a peaceful cacophony which greeted the ears and gave pleasure to the hearer. I smiled contentedly.
            A few years prior, when I was about twelve years old, I had broken a glass. I had been carrying it to Sir Manchmal when it slipped out of my fingers and made contact with the floor. The perfect glass had instantly turned to smithereens with a huge crash. The whole atmosphere seemed to break along with the glass.
            And that’s what it felt like when the princess spoke. Or, rather, yelled.
            “Boy! Serving boy! Come here!” The carriage rumbled to a reluctant halt. “No, no. Keep going. Serving boy! Come ride beside this wooden monstrosity.”
            I urged my horse forward, wondering what Princess Elaine could possibly want from me. The thick curtain blocking her window had been drawn back. When I peered into the gloomy darkness (for all of the other windows were still covered), I saw the same beauty that had climbed inside only that morning. Her hair and dress were a little mussed and she looked perturbed, but other than that, she seemed to be quite alright.
            “Yes, Your Highness?”
            “My father said that you would make good conversation. I don’t really believe him, seeing as you’re only a servant –“
            “A squire, Your Highness.” I could only take so much.
            She scowled at me. “I do not care what type of servant you are. Do not interrupt me.” She paused to see if I dared speak up again. I did not. “Like I was saying, my father said that you could entertain me on this dreadful trip and I’m bored. So entertain me.”
            I was speechless.
            She huffed. “I said, entertain me! You’re not any good for conversation, are you? I tried to tell my father that but he wouldn’t listen and he always listens to me.” I believed it. “Why, you probably never held a proper conversation in your life! If my father were here –“
            “At least you have a father,” I mumbled.
            “What was that?” She had perked up like a dog while a pig was being butchered.
            “Nothing Your Highness. I’m sorry.”
            She shook her head. “No, what did you say?”
            I bit my lip. “I said, ‘at least you have a father.’” Would she think me impertinent? I didn’t really care what her opinion of me was, but I didn’t want to listen to a lecture on the finer points of etiquette at the moment.
            She cocked her pretty blonde head. “You mean to say, you don’t have a father?”
            “No, Your Highness.”
            “Is he dead?” She sounded almost lighthearted.
            “Yes, Your Highness.”
            Her eyebrows shot up. Doubtless this sheltered girl had never thought about children without parents, having two perfectly good ones of her own. “How did he die?”
            I sucked in my breath as if I had been punched in the gut. “He was fighting.”
            “In a bar? Was he a thief? A murderer?!” A glint of excitement touched the Princess Elaine’s dull grey eyes.
            “No!” I bit my tongue to keep from lashing out. “He was in a war.”
            “Oh.” She pondered that for a moment. “Well I suppose it’s still interesting if he was a knight. Was he?”
            I licked my lips. Sir Manchmal’s words traversed the years to come into my head. I’ll train you up to be the best knight that ever lived, just like your father. I set my jaw and nodded firmly. “Yes.”
            That fire of eagerness rekindled. “Was your mother a damsel in distress? Did your father rescue her from a cruel black knight and then marry her? Was there a dragon?”
            “Dragons don’t exist,” I said bluntly. I didn’t want to think about my mother either, so of course she pressed on.
            “Where is your mother now? Is she living off at a castle somewhere and you were rebellious and left to make your own way in the world and she’s at home worrying about her baby boy?”
            “First off, I’m no one’s baby boy. Second off, my mother’s dead too.”
            “You’re an orphan!”
            “Is that a surprise to you Your Highness?” I scowled. How dare she take such personal things from me!
            “Well, a little bit. I’ve never met an orphan before.”
            “You probably have and you just don’t know it. You think all of your servants have parents? Most of them are probably either too poor not to work or have nowhere else to go. Maybe some of them have siblings to support.”
            “Hm.” She settled back against the bouncing coach bench to think about that. I noticed a fluffy pillow behind her straight back and wished for one of my own. “Do you have any siblings?”
            Her question caught me off guard and I told her what happened. “I was supposed to. My mother was pregnant when she died. It was going to be a girl.”
            “So it’s just you then? All of your family members are dead? That’s quite an accomplishment.”
            I turned on her as much as I could with the traveling constraints. “Are you serious? I lost my whole family! That’s not an accomplishment, that’s a tragedy! How could you say such a thing?!”
            She reached out the window and tugged on one of the dark curls that had fallen over my forehead. “There, I suppose you can be entertaining.”
            My jaw dropped and I yanked my head out of her reach. I ground my teeth together and looked dead ahead, trying to focus on the road to keep from reacting. She was the princess after all, and anything I did could hold dire consequences.
            “So tell me more about your father the knight. It’s too dark to read in here, so I haven’t been able to read The Song of Roland and I’m dying for a courtly tale!”
            My ears perked up in spite of the rest of me at the name of the poem. “I know that story,” I said grudgingly. “I could tell it.”
            “Oh, please do. I am so bored.”
            I dove into the tale with energy, pushing unwanted thoughts and memories out of my mind and focusing wholly on the story of a brave and courageous knight who embodied everything I wanted to be.
            We traveled many miles as I spoke and the sun journeyed higher and higher into the sky. I let the words unfold as they came, my favorite story coming out simply and definitely not in poetic form. When I had finished, the princess nodded appreciatively.
            “That was surprisingly good for a servant. It wasn’t a poem though.”
            I clenched my jaw so as not to bite back. “I’m sorry Your Highness, I do not have the poem memorized.”
            She sighed dramatically. “I suppose that shall have to suffice for now.” She pushed her head out of the window and looked all around, taking in details with her sharp gaze. “Where are we?” The question was directed at Sir Manchmal.
            “We are about twenty miles from Camelot. We are about to stop for a midday meal. Are you hungry, my lady?”
            Her eyes widened and she nodded enthusiastically. “Extremely so. How much farther to King Baldwin’s dreadful castle?”
            “About two hundred miles my lady. Seeing as it is now Tuesday, we should arrive next Friday.”
            The princess groaned and fell back into the carriage. She pulled the drape closed without another word and I took that as a queue to fall back into place behind my master.

            The midday meal was good but not anything special. Her Highness the princess complained about its blandness and lack of beauty for an hour afterward, clearly demonstrating the nature of all of the previous meals in her life. She did not ask me to come speak to her again that day so I continued to be silent until we made camp at sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment